Roasted Squash Salad with Broccoli Rabe and Kale
Both nutritious and delicious, this roasted squash salad with broccoli rabe and kale is ready in just 30 minutes! This warm, vegan salad is perfect for a healthy weeknight dinner or meatless Monday.
Recipe by Trish Bozeman
Trish Bozeman is the blogger, photographer, and recipe developer behind Rhubarbarians, a vegetarian food blog focusing on seasonal recipes. She creates approachable, yet delicious recipes that focus on using in-season produce for the entire family.
- 3 1/4″ slices red onion. Cut in half to create half moons
- 4 Tbsp sherry vinegar, divided
- 1 medium winter squash like carnival or acorn
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch Andy Boy broccoli rabe, end of stems trimmed
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 head lacinato kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pepitas or roasted squash seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the onion with 2 Tbsp of the vinegar and set aside. Stir frequently while making the rest of the salad to evenly quick pickle the onions.
3. Cut your squash in half and scoop out the seeds and soft flesh with a spoon. Discard or keep seeds for a later use. Cut the squash vertically into 1″ slices. In a medium bowl, toss with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (optional for easy clean up) and roast for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, wash and prepare your broccoli rabe. Be sure the broccoli rabe is dry (pat with a paper towel if needed). Roughly chop the broccoli rabe. When the squash has been roasted for 15 minutes, flip the squash and top with the broccoli rabe. Roast for 15 minutes, or until squash is soft.
5. Meanwhile, make your dressing. Combine 2 Tbsp of the vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, lemon juice and 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a jar with tight fitting lid. Shake to emulsify. Or combine ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until emulsified.
6. Meanwhile, massage your chopped kale in a large serving bowl. Top with the hot squash and broccoli rabe and stir to let the kale wilt. Add the dried cranberries, pepitas, strained red onion, and dressing. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve warm and enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more